Recently posted on a Christian blog
“So, Mr. or Ms. non-believer, if the God of the Bible convinced you of His existence with all the evidence you could ever ask for, would you fully obey and serve Him?” –James, Internet Apologist Extraordinaire
Since I cannot trust the blogger who asked this question recently to not edit replies or even create whole cloth comments for me that I did not say, I’d like to open the floor to his question and also share my answer as a recently deconverted, 34yr christian and 25yr disciple/avocational minister of Christ.
My answer would be a resounding “NO”, and here’s why
If in fact the meglomaniacal, uber egotistical and cosmic scale level God described in the Bible, both Old Testament and New, actually existed…
… you know the one, genocidal maniac (see genesis and joshua), rape and murderer excusing, first born baby murdering, (see 2 Sam 12) and pagan human sacrificing for ‘sin’ (see Genesis ‘abandon your first born and kill second’ Abraham, and the gospel of Jesus ‘substitutionary atonement’ Translation: ‘human sacrifice’), i could literally go on and on… but THAT one?
If THAT one actually existed and you could Demonstrate this with actual EVIDENCE, not just philosophical arguments from ignorance and incredulity, or more germane to your question… Reversing the Burden of Proof you bear to those who don’t believe and justifying your unwillingness and inability to meet it by ASSUMING the dishonest response of those you haven’t been able to convince yet…
James, my boy… you’d win the F*ing Nobel Prize.
But instead, you’re just taking dishonest, arrogant and condescending ‘pot shots’ at the integrity of anyone who doesn’t have the unthinking and fearfilled credulity to believe Unproven Claims on not only BAD evidence, but literally NO evidence… and a LOT of evidence to the contrary for the existence of the God of the Bible and the historical and archaeological accuracy and reliability of that collection of Bronze and Iron Age Mythology and Religious Fiction.
So first of all buddy, you know full and well you have no way to actually prove, demonstrate or show such a thing as you are loading your question with. You are only asking it in such a way to assert and imply that anyone who does not believe in, love and slavishly serve your particular version of God is in reality rejecting it for purely personal, emotional or disingenuous and dishonest reasons.
I call Bull S#!t on you James. Your question and how it’s nuanced is pure unadulterated Bull S#!t and you know it. You have college degrees, you’re not an idiot and neither am I.
“In almost all cases, they demand scientific proof. They say they want tangible, testable evidence that can be verified using the scientific method. Unfortunately for them such a demand in itself is scientifically impossible.” –James, Internet Apologist Extraordinaire
Actually, it’s unfortunate for YOU. But I will answer your question, James.
No, I wouldn’t serve the God of the bible anymore even if you could demonstrate His actual existence. But I do have some questions for you as well, Brother James.
- Why would you serve someone simply because he is more powerful than you? Would you serve Hitler’s Germany if you lived in 1939 Czechoslovakia?
- Why would you worship a person or entity whose whole purpose for His existence, it would seem, is to be worshipped, adulated, grovelled to and fawned over for all eternity by everyone and everything?
- How could you EVER actually enjoy thoughts of Heaven knowing that the vast majority of people who have ever lived, and will ever live, are either in Hell or will be when they die simply for not believing in, accepting as Master and Lord, and Worshipping the ‘Right’ god or worshipping and serving him in the wrong way?
- And you will spend eternity with the person who is their Eternal Torturer. How could you EVER “Laugh in Heaven” while untold billions are being Eternally Tortured and Immolated on orders and express designs and plans of the God of the Bible?
- Have you even read the Bible and the descriptions of the God you serve and what it says He has done? Murder, genocide, baby killing, both personally by Him and for Him on His orders?
If the God of the Bible does exist, He’s a Monster and the most cruel sadist and narcissistic bastard in the whole universe.
I dont worship, serve or grovel to monsters. They are not worthy of worship, not even if They are more powerful than I am… not even Universally and Infinitely more so. I would spit in His immaterial and invisible eye as He tosses my carcass over the cliff into the flames below.
But of course, there is no such danger of that actually happening, now is there James?
If so… meet your burden of proof with actual Evidence, not nuanced slander and slurring of the characters and integrities of those less inclined and willing to believe what uuounare selling without it. Now Bugger off James, like a good little A$$hole.